Flax seeds have been buzzed about quite a bit lately among healthy eating communities, but most people don’t know much about these tiny superfoods.
Here are a few interesting facts about flax seeds if you're considering adding them to your diet:
- Flax seeds are full of beneficial nutrients. They're loaded with a laundry list of good-for-you nutrients, including healthy fats, fiber, protein, and omega 3s. They’re also full of vitamins, magnesium, potassium, and lignans, which can help to prevent against cancer.
- You may notice that your grocery store carries both golden and brown flax seeds, but both contain the same nutritional benefits. Which type you choose depends on your own taste.
- Like many other foods in Mediterranean diets, flax seeds may help to prevent against many chronic diseases. They may reduce the risk of heart disease, as well as the risk of hormone-dependent cancers.
- There are many ways to eat flax seeds. Whether you add ground flax seeds to your baked goods, sprinkle them on your salads or use them to top your yogurts, you can incorporate them into your diet without much effort.
Los Angeles is one of the country’s most stimulating cities, from its movie sets to its picturesque beaches. The city's vibrant restaurant scene is also exciting to the senses, and these two fine dining restaurants are some of the best in LA.
With its sleek, modern decor and a old Hollywood charm, Mastro’s Steakhouse just looks like the type of restaurant where famous actors would hide from the snooping paparazzi. Comfortable leather booths line the walls, and the rustic, wooden bar glistens with a wide variety of spirit bottles on every shelf. The menu includes steakhouse classics like beef carpaccio and shrimp cocktail to start, and the impressive wine and beer list features a handpicked selection of favorites. Entrees include high quality steaks and chops with potato and fresh vegetable sides, and traditional desserts such as cheesecake and key lime pie are the ideal ending to any meal.
246 N. Canon Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90210; (310) 888-8782
The Bazaar by Jose Andres
Traditional Spanish cuisine gets a modern, creative makeover at this stylish indoor piazza. The Bazaar features a wide assortment of dining spaces and lounge areas each based on a different theme, including a stark white room with elegant chandeliers and a rustic, red room with Southwestern influence. The menu is full of seafood prepared with a Mediterranean flair, Catalan salads, flavorful desserts, and crafted cocktails with equally as much pizazz.
465 S. La Cienega Blvd, Beverly Grove, CA 90048; (310) 246-5555
The Park La Brea leasing office made a homemade lunch for Fire Station 61 on Wednesday, July 16th. Fresh homemade bread, Southern ribs, macaroni and cheese, salads and desserts were just some of the fare.
Just a small thanks to the hard-working guys serving our community.
When you have a large group of people over for dinner, serving food buffet-style ensures that everyone gets exactly what they want. But how can you be sure that everything stays fresh, from appetizers to dessert? Here are a few tips for serving a safe food buffet.
- Buy foods at the proper temperature. Things like fried chicken, casseroles, and ice cream should be kept at the same temperature from the store to the buffet table, as changing their temperatures too much can cause food to spoil.
- Know the proper temperatures. Hot food should be kept between 140° and 165° Fahrenheit, while cold food should be kept at 40° Fahrenheit and lower.
- Don’t leave food out for longer than two hours. Be sure to include preparation and serving in your count.
- Use the proper tools. To ensure that food is kept at the proper temperature, use things like slow cookers, warming trays, and nesting dishes in bowls of ice. To prevent guests from mixing foods, make sure that you provide a separate spoon, spatula, or tongs in each dish. Also provide individual bowls for dips to discourage guests from double-dipping.
Just because you're a vegetarian doesn't mean you have to exist solely on plain tofu and vegetables! There are a wide variety of colorful dishes that are also meat-free, and they certainly don't lack taste. If you’re a vegetarian (or even just a healthy eater!) who loves to prepare creative, flavorful meals, these meatless recipes will be a welcome addition to your recipe box.
Pappardelle with Mushrooms [Cooking Light]
Grilled Veggie and Hummus Wraps [Cooking Light]
Eggplant Parmesan [Cooking Light]
California Barley Bowl [101 Cookbooks]
Summer Vegetable Curry [101 Cookbooks]
Having a picnic is on just about everyone’s bucket list each summer. There’s something so enjoyable about eating on a blanket outdoors, but you may start to get a bit tired of the same sandwiches and potato salad year after year. Here are five unique recipes to pack in your picnic basket this summer.
Summer Crab Rolls [Cooking Light]
Seafood lovers will adore these light, slider-style mini sandwiches topped with flavorful crab cakes.
Couscous Salad Cups [Cooking Light]
Forgo the usual mayo-heavy salads in favor of something healthier and just as tasty. This couscous salad is served inside of lettuce “cups” for easy serving even while outdoors, and the feta adds something extra to the simple recipe.
Belle’s Hamburger Buns [AllRecipes]
Instead of using flavorless, store-bought hamburger buns, make your own light and fluffy version right at home. Prep them ahead of time and then bake for just 20 minutes to impress your guests with homemade bread for burgers on the grill.
Curried Chicken Salad with Apples and Raisins [Cooking Light]
If your picnic companions have more adventurous palates, they’ll love this chicken salad recipe with a kick of curry. It’s not quite as creamy as the usual chicken salad recipes, so it tastes fresh and filling on either bread or crackers.
Watermelon and Strawberry Lemonade [AllRecipes]
You need a refreshing drink to wash down all those picnic treats, and this fresh, fruity lemonade is just the thing. Blend ice with strawberries and watermelon for a uniquely sweet drink that also quenches your thirst.
A vacant Park La Brea apartment was recently transformed into a glamorous video shoot by celebrity hairstylist, Afshin Ammadi to demonstrate this summer's latest trends in hair.
The shoot was in collaboration with loxabeauty.com, which is an expert online shop for high end hair and beauty products such as Sebastian, Joico and Schwartzkopf, to name a few. When we asked Afshin why he approached Park La Brea, he said "I wanted to shoot at a place that represented Los Angeles well with great views and it being centrally located." Though Afshin Ammadi travels around the country for product education and photo shoots, he happens to work at a hair salon minutes away from Park La Brea!
In appreciation for shooting here, all residents of Park La Brea are offered a 20% discount on any cut or color service by him. You can currently find him at Estilo Salon on Beverly Blvd, Wednesday through Saturday. Call Estilo Salon for an appointment at 323-936-6775 and mention Park La Brea!
Whether you own your own business or you’re just interested in the ebb and flow of the economy, reading up on business news is helpful for just about every type of person. Though many business publications are dry and difficult to read, these websites present business news in an interesting, accessible manner.
With a simple layout and a variety of business-oriented categories, Inc. is a great website for browsing or reading long-form articles. The startup section provides useful tips and tricks for budding entrepreneurs, providing insight from successful business owners and lists of the most successful industries. Whether you’re interested in salaries, leadership skills, or innovative products, Inc. has a little something for everyone.
Fast Company is an online business magazine focused on innovation in technology, economics, leadership, and design. It is written by a group of successful business leaders who provide helpful insight into establishing and running companies both large and small, and it also features the most creative marketing ideas from innovative brands around the world.